Friday, May 21, 2010

Kari Thomas, author of "Under a Shifter's Moon" is with us today!


CJ: Hello, Kari. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to talk to us. We’re excited to have you here today!

Q: So, first of all, we want to know about your latest novel. What can you tell us about “UNDER A SHIFTER’S MOON”?


This is my latest, and then I have a new one Releasing in July titled “Spell-Kissed”. But, anyhoo! “Under a Shifters Moon” is the “Book-of-my-Heart”. I’ve had the hero and heroine in my mind for years just waiting to find the right story for them. Lyon is a Jaguar Shifter fighting with his twin brother for the right to be Alpha over his Pride. A Pride Decree says he has to marry a certain woman chosen for him but he falls in love with her aunt, Kitlene. Their love is destined for heartache from the beginning because if Lyon chooses Kitlene as his Truemate, her life is forfeit.


Q: I think everyone would love to know what inspired this particular novel. Can you tell us about that?


I love Shapeshifters, especially cats. And Kitlene’s “secret” came from personal experience. (Nope, cant tell you cause it’s a spoiler! LOL!)

Q: I’m dying to know more about the Main Characters of your novel. Can you give us a brief description of each?

Lyon is the perfect Alpha male. He’s protective, possessive, sexy, and he fights for what he believes in –no matter the odds or the results. Kitlene is vulnerable and soft, but she also has an inner strength that shines through whenever her loved ones are at risk. They make the perfect couple.

Q: Okay, I’m a huge fan of quotes taken from novels. Would you tell us one of your favorites quotes from “Under a Shifter’s Moon”?

(grin) How about TWO?

(Lyon to Kitlene) “And the next time you decide to start a fight with some of my men, do me a favor and keep your soft paws off anything expensive.”

And

“Why don’t you just kick them in the balls like you threatened to do to me?”



Q: A little about you. When did you decide to write your first novel?


I wrote my first one at age 12. It was a 300 page young adult mystery and I was so proud of it. Can you imagine my heartbreak when it was rejected? But that didn’t stop me. I plunged ahead. I’m a book-a-holic and the more romances I read, the more I wanted to write one.

Q: Do you have a system or particular ritual you do before/ during writing to keep the words flowing?

I threaten my muse before each writing session. That’s probably why I have to keep getting new ones! Seriously though, I love listening to music while writing –and I also warn anyone around not to disturb me. Doesn’t work out, but its worth the try each time!

Q: What do you find the easiest part about writing? The hardest?

The creativity flow is the easiest. I have soooooo many ideas floating around in my head, and my characters are always so real to me. The hardest part is the promoting and business stuff AFTER the book is published.

Q: We all know writers spend a great deal of time researching. Can you tell us one of the most interesting things you’ve discovered while doing research for your writing?

That my g-g-grandfather was a pirate on board the Spanish ship “GASPIRILLA” and that it sunk off the coast of my home state Florida, AND that the island next to Sanibel, Captiva was most likely named by him! Research is amazing!

Q: If you could physically visit the world in any book, which book would it be and why?

Hard question! LOL! I love all my book’s worlds. I try to make them each one unique and real. I’d have to choose “Under A Shifters Moon” if I could only choose one. I love the life Lyon and his Jaguar Pride live in. Its Contemporary –yet preternatural too.

Q: What one work of fiction do you think has made the biggest impact on your life? How?

Most definitely JRR Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings” Series. I read them when I was only 7 years old and was so impressed that I was inspired to try my own fantasy. Failed, but still never forgot the wonderful feeling of being lost in those books.


Q: Last question before we wrap this interview up. Please finish this sentence in a way that best describes you, for us. “People would be surprised to know that...


...I’m extremely shy. Everyone says I’m a “people-person” but it takes a lot of effort to put myself out there, so no one knows the truth.”


CJ: Thank you, again for visiting with us, Kari.


I would invite all our guests to check out “UNDER A SHIFTER’S MOON by Kari Thomas on sale now at Black Lyon Publishing and ALL Bookstores. Available in Print and Ebook formats.


See more info at Kari’s website: http://www.authorkari.com/


Below is an excerpt from Kari’s novel UNDER A SHIFTER’S MOON. Please read on!


She was facing the direction of the stairs so he could see her face clearly. His breath caught. She was incredibly beautiful; an oval face, softly pink-tinged complexion, cupid-bow mouth, small nose. Her long-lashed eyes were large and round. For some reason, her eyes made him instantly think of a Persian cat’s eyes. He grinned at the contradiction; he had the odd thought that her obvious spunk would keep her from being as sweet natured as the Persian breed. Even from his distance he could see the soft, dove-grey color.


They were the most fascinating eyes he’d ever seen on a woman. A man could easily—willingly drown in their mysterious, sultry depths. He could. He frowned at the disturbing thought. He let his gaze roam over her one more time before coming back to rest on her ethereal face. She wasn’t wearing makeup—or she was an expert at making it appear that way—and the look was as much innocence as it was sensual. The odd combination was fascinating and it intrigued him like nothing else had in a long time. He watched her gaze around the room. Her expression was neutral, but even from this distance he could see her eyes mirror her nervous thoughts. What would those expressive, lovely eyes reveal when her gaze first met his? He was suddenly anxious to find out.


Lyon found his feet moving before he even had the actual thought. He bounded down the stairs, sending a glance toward the corner where Mason and Beau were talking to the coyote group. His body was tight, his muscles tense and ready to allow his jaguar self to emerge. But this time it wasn’t because of the anticipation of a fight.


No, his jaguar soul had sighted prey. His prey. His. That soul-felt confirmation only proved he was right. This woman was Ariel. Somehow his jaguar self already recognized her.
Whoa. That shocked him. Realization hit him like a hard, breath- stealing punch to the gut and then arrowed straight to his soul. He came to an abrupt standstill yards away from her. He inhaled roughly, taking her sweet, oddly familiar scent deep into him. His entire body immediately went into hard sensual overload. Stark, possessive instincts rose in him for the first time in his life. He’d never felt anything like it. His jaguar self pushed forward. Primal. Domineering.

24 comments:

  1. Hi Kari,

    Great post! Your novel sounds like a must-read!

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many authors start writing so young. It must be in our blood from birth. LOL I love the premise Kari and the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS, Maggie and Margaret for stopping by so early! HOPE you'll try UNDER A SHIFTER'S MOON ---and let me know what you think!

    I have 2 FREE reads, Epilogues of my novel "Temptation Unleashed" if anyone would like to sample my writing...first. (grin)

    HAPPY READING and HUGS,
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kari,

    great post!! You know I LOVE your books, I hope that everyone who reads this rushes out to get your books.

    I highly recommend them!!!

    Valerie
    in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kari,
    Love Lyon and Kitlene. This book of yours has a special meaning to me as you well know. Lyon is so yummy and the story is great.

    Cierra James

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kari,
    I honestly admit that I've never read a novel about shape-shifting, but your excerpt definitely piqued my interest. Here's wishing you mega sales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful interview, Kari - and I love the cover. I know what you mean about being a shy person. I am too. I hope you have great success in your writing career!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI CRISSY. WISH MY DAUGHTER WOULD HURRY WITH MY PREPAID VISA AS I GOTTA HAVE THIS!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feline shape-shifters are my favorite.

    Fascinating info about your gggrandfather, I wish my ancestors were more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Valerie, youre the best! (for those who dont know, Val was my FIRST Publisher Reader for "Temptation Unleashed" in 2006 and thus the reason it was published!)

    Hey back, Cierra! Yep, Lyon and Kitlene will always be special to us both. YOU helped me develop them both!

    Ginger, Please DO read a few shapeshifter books! (grin) Im sure you'll LOVE them!

    Hi Tina! I love that Cover too. Ive been so blessed with fantastic covers on all my books.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kari,
    So glad to see your having fun on C.J.'s great blog. Keep those shifters coming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, boy, after reading this excerpt I am totally hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My TBR pile is growing and growing. This is a must read that may topple the pile. What the heck, we need to add another room to the house anyway.
    Wonderful post. I can't wait to get my hands on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kari,
    I love your shifter romances...Can't wait to tackle this latest one.

    *hugs*
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping by Anna, Lorrie, Cheryl, Amber, Cynthya! Hey, Linda!

    LOL--Lorrie, I know what you mean about those TBR piles! I own over 3,000 books in my personal library. My family always says that when I decide to build a house it should actually be a LIBRARY around a house!

    Gotta love having soooo many great books!

    HUGS, all, Kari

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kari. I haven't read your books yet. Adding them to my to read list.
    Sue B

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post, Kari. Love your shapeshifter stories.
    Tamsyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kari you mkae me want to runout and buy your book. I am on a book buying hiatus for now in the middle of a move and am quitting my job. Since we will be living with my sister for a bit, my husband says not too damn long. I figure try not to do more than pay essentials, prepare to job hunt. I am avoiding retail if all possible due to job burnout.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ps I love your name Kari is a great name.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Kari,
    Great Interview. This has been on my TBR mountain since it was released and eventually I'll have my hands on a print copy for my collection. It would already be here if it weren't for those pesky finances i have to live on. Don't get old and have to depend upon a government income because it's not enough for everything you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kari,

    Under A Shifter's Moon is a fabulous story and I dare anyone not to fall in love with Lyon.

    Keep up the excellent writing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Kari,

    I really enjoyed your excerpt.

    Thanks for sharing the story about your g-g-grandfather. Very interesting. You should write a story about him.

    To C.J--Love your blog--very cool graphics!

    kelleyheckart.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Like the background. Your book sounds great, can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks, Michelle and Kelley. The background is a depiction of my novel "To Stand with Angels".

    ReplyDelete