Friday, May 14, 2010

Hello, Mary Corrales!



CJ: Hi, Mary. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to talk to us. We’re excited to have you here today!


Q: So, first of all, we want to know about your latest novel. What can you tell us about Dhampir Passions?

Well, it’s a paranormal erotic romance with a futuristic setting. I love genre mixing. It’s exciting to put vampires in the future, especially the future I’ve created that takes place after a world-wide nuclear war.


Q: I think everyone would love to know what inspired this particular novel. Can you tell us about that?

Absolutely. It all started with a man whose life story seemed to be missing from history. A single reference to the brother of Vlad Dracula had me obsessing about this mysterious man. So I named this man Raduslav and gave him a second chance in life.


Q: I’m dying to know more about the Main Characters of your novel. Can you give us a brief description of each?

Raduslav Dracula is a half-blood vampyr and as sexy as they come, but his past now dictates his future. He’s searching for the Draculesti Bloodstone, a family heirloom which must be recovered at all cost. He meets Linea Kamiya, a simple farmer, bitten by the evil vamp lord, Desmondi, who hires Radu to save her from Desmondi, while doing her best to keep her farm from the townsfolk of Whickeup who are trying to steal it from her. This futuristic world is not an easy place for women.


Q: A little about you. When did you decide to write your first novel?

I was in my early twenties and after reading hundreds of romance novels wanted to try my hand at creating my own heros, heroines and worlds. I’ve never regretted it.


Q: Do you have a system or particular ritual you do before/ during writing to keep the words flowing?

I typically listen to hard rock music while writing. Sometimes I’ll play a particular song to help me really get into a scene. I’ll sometimes suck hard candy while writing, but that’s usually If I get stuck on a scene. Don’t ask me why this works but it does.


Q: What do you find the easiest part about writing? The hardest?

The easiest part about writing is creating the heroes. Somehow they’re always very clear to me. The hardest is writing the synopsis and blurb. I’m not good at summarizing.


Q: We all know writers spend a great deal of time researching. Can you tell us one of the most interesting things you’ve discovered while doing research for your writing?

I needed a disgusting creature in one scene and came across a reference for a Helminth. This is actually an intestinal worm, but in my world I’ve mutated it into a giant leech. It’s grossly cool.

Q: If you could physically visit the world in any book, which book would it be and why?

Other than Dhampir Passions, any romance novel that I could spend some alone time with the sexy hero of the book. Lol. Actually, I’d love to pop into Heather Kuehl’s Fade to Black book because she’s got some truly intriguing werewolves and vampires in that story.

Q: What one work of fiction do you think has made the biggest impact on your life? How?

Kathleen Morgan’s Demon Prince. That was the very first paranormal romance novel that I ever read. I’ve loved the genre ever since.

Q: Last question before we wrap this interview up. Please finish this sentence in a way that best describes you, for us. “People would be surprised to know that …” If I could I’d leave my Christmas decorations up year-round. I just love the sparkly lights and the happy atmosphere.” Hope your readers don’t think I’m weird. Lol.

CJ: Thank you, again for visiting with us, Mary. I would invite all our guests to check out Dhampir Passions by Mary Corrales on sale now at Fictionwise.com

Below is an excerpt from Mary’s novel, Dhampir Passions. Please read on!

They walked down a short tunnel and emerged at another set of stairs that wound down through a huge stone silo. The hole in the middle discouraged any wrong moves off the stairwell.

“I can’t even see the bottom where the stairs end,” Linea whispered, afraid her voice might echo. “It might take us hours to get to the bottom, and by then the sunset will be closing in on us.”

He turned to her, his gaze steady and sure. He silently lifted her off the ground, ignoring her small squeak of alarm. “Wrap your legs around my waist.”

Wide-eyed and aghast, she did as he said, not enjoying having her body dangle in mid-air. She settled against him, noticing how close it brought their mouths. His lips looked soft and inviting.

“Hang on tight to me and I’ll get us to the bottom.”

Fear replaced budding desire. Did Dhampirs truly have such incredible strength that he believed they would survive?

His slim fingertips brought her chin up until their eyes met. “You won’t be harmed.”

You can check out her other erotica stories or contact her through her website: http://www.authormaryc.com/

12 comments:

  1. Hi, CJ. Thanks for hosting me here today. I just love your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT Interview, Mary!

    I soooo love Raduslav ---he's one sexy vampire! I tell everyone who loves this genre that Mary's books are NOT to be missed, especially THIS one!

    Hugs!
    Kari Thomas, www.authorkari.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kari,

    Thanks for stopping by. Radu does leave a woman wanting more. So glad to know it's not just me. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mary. Great interview! I love the "strange research fact" bit...that's so something I would do for a novel.

    hugs;

    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! Don't think I want to run into a Helminth though. :) And you're not weird - I get a little down after Christmas because I miss the cheer too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Interview. Love the what world would you live in question.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cate, thanks for stopping by. I created that nasty creature and I would want to meet it in person either.

    Hi Amber, thanks for popping in. Wasn't that a great question? Really made me think. Ah, if only I had that power for real. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had my attention when you mentioned post nuclear war and vampires in the same sentence. How very interesting!

    I use caramel squares the same way you use hard candy. lol

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Abby, I never thought of caramel squares. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A missing brother of Vlad. Sounds intriguing. A setting after a nuclear war, and the women do not have an easy life. A tempting excerpt.
    ohh, my kind of novel.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea..."lost" brother of Dracula and giving him a story.
    Have many sales!
    Marianne/April

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lorrie, thanks for stopping by. Radu was just too good to resist. Had to write about him.

    Hey April. Thanks for the good wishes!

    ReplyDelete